Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Clinics in Geriatric Medicine
- Newman A.B. Cauley J.A. The epidemiology of aging. Springer, Dordecht (Netherlands)2012: 237-253
- Insights into thymic aging and regeneration.Immunol Rev. 2005; 205: 72-93
- Understanding the immune response to seasonal influenza vaccination in older adults: a systems biology approach.Expert Rev Vaccines. 2012; 11: 985-994
- Estimated human and economic burden of four major adult vaccine-preventable diseases in the United States, 2013.J Prim Prev. 2015; 36: 259-273
- Epidemiology and prevention of vaccine-preventable diseases.in: Hamborsky J. Kroger A. Wolfe S. 13th edition. Public Health Foundation, Washington, DC2015: 12
- Epidemiology of seasonal influenza: use of surveillance data and statistical models to estimate the burden of disease.J Infect Dis. 2006; 194: S82-S91
- Risk of myocardial infarction and stroke after acute infection or vaccination.N Engl J Med. 2004; 351: 2611-2618
- Influenza vaccination and reduction in hospitalizations for cardiac disease and stroke among the elderly.N Engl J Med. 2003; 348: 1322-1332
- Influenza vaccination reduces cardiovascular events in patients with acute coronary syndrome.Eur Heart J. 2011; 32: 1730-1735
- Influenza vaccines for preventing cardiovascular disease.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015; (CD005050)
- Vaccines for preventing influenza in the elderly.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010; (CD004876)
- Antibody response to influenza vaccination in the elderly: a quantitative review.Vaccine. 2006; 24: 1159-1169
- Safety of high doses of influenza vaccine and effect on antibody responses in elderly persons.Arch Intern Med. 2006; 166: 1121-1127
- Randomized, controlled trial of high-dose influenza vaccine among frail residents of long-term care facilities.J Infect Dis. 2015; 211: 1915-1924
- High-dose trivalent influenza vaccine compared to standard dose vaccine in elderly adults: safety, immunogenicity and relative efficacy during the 2009–2010 season.Vaccine. 2013; 31: 861-866
- Efficacy of high-dose versus standard-dose influenza vaccine in older adults.N Engl J Med. 2014; 371: 635-645
- Comparative effectiveness of high-dose versus standard-dose influenza vaccines in US residents aged 65 years and older from 2012 to 2013 using Medicare data: a retrospective cohort analysis.Lancet Infect Dis. 2015; 15: 293-300
ClinicalTrials.gov Registration: NCT01815268.
FLUAD [package insert]. Cambridge, MA: Novartis Vaccines and Diagnostics, Inc.; 2015.
- Superior immunogenicity of seasonal influenza vaccines containing full dose of MF59 ((R)) adjuvant: results from a dose-finding clinical trial in older adults.Human Vaccines & Immunotherapeutics. 2012; 8: 216-227
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Influenza (flu). 2015. Available at: www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/vaccines.htm. Accessed September 18, 2015.
- Efficacy and effectiveness of influenza vaccines: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Lancet Infect Dis. 2012; 12: 36-44
- Prevention and control of influenza with vaccines: recommendations of the advisory committee on immunization practices, United States, 2015-16 influenza season.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2015; 64: 818-825
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Adult immunization schedules. United States, 2015. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/hcp/adult.html. Accessed September 15, 2015.
Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion. Increase the percentage of health care personnel who are vaccinated annually against seasonal influenza. 2013. Available at: https://www.healthypeople.gov/node/6361/data_details#revision_history_header. Accessed October 21, 2015.
- Influenza vaccination coverage among health care personnel – United States, 2013-14 influenza season.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014; 63: 805-811
- Effect of influenza vaccination of healthcare personnel on morbidity and mortality among patients: systematic review and grading of evidence.Clin Infect Dis. 2014; 58: 50-57
- Influenza vaccination of healthcare workers: making the grade for action.Clin Infect Dis. 2014; 58: 58-60
- Influenza vaccination of health care workers in long-term-care hospitals reduces the mortality of elderly patients.J Infect Dis. 1997; 175: 1-6
- Strategies to achieve the Healthy People 2020 annual influenza vaccine coverage goal for health-care personnel: recommendations from the National Vaccine Advisory Committee.Public Health Rep. 2013; 128: 7-25
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Center for Health Statistics. Health, United States, 2009: with special feature on medical technology. Hyattsville (MD): Department of Health and Human Services; 2010.
- 23-valent pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine: WHO position paper.Wkly Epidemiol Rec. 2008; 83: 373-384
- Redefining risk categories for pneumococcal disease in adults: critical analysis of the evidence.Int J Infect Dis. 2015; 37: 30-35
- Vaccines for preventing pneumococcal infection in adults.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013; (CD000422)
- Editorial commentary: should 13-valent protein-conjugate pneumococcal vaccine be used routinely in adults?.Clin Infect Dis. 2012; 55: 265-267
- Vaccination coverage among adults, excluding influenza vaccination – United States, 2013.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2015; 64: 95-102
- Pneumococcal vaccines: mechanism of action, impact on epidemiology and adaption of the species.Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2008; 32: 199-206
- Manual for the surveillance of vaccine-preventable diseases.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta (GA)2012
- Effect of use of 13-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine in children on invasive pneumococcal disease in children and adults in the USA: analysis of multisite, population-based surveillance.Lancet Infect Dis. 2015; 15: 301-309
- Polysaccharide conjugate vaccine against pneumococcal pneumonia in adults.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 1114-1125
- Tetanus surveillance-United States, 2001-2008.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2011; 60: 365-369
- Serologic immunity to diphtheria and tetanus in the United States.Ann Intern Med. 2002; 136: 660-666
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Pertussis (whooping cough) surveillance and reporting. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/pertussis/surv-reporting.html. Accessed October 19, 2015.
- Sources of infant pertussis infections in the United States.Pediatrics. 2015; 136: 635-641
- Cocooning: a concept to protect young children from infectious diseases.Curr Opin Pediatr. 2012; 24: 92-97
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Combined Tdap vaccine. 2014. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/combo-vaccines/DTaP-Td-DT/tdap.htm. Accessed October 19, 2015.
Funding source: Grant support from Sanofi Pasteur (G. Gnanasekaran, H.E. Davidson, S. Gravenstein); no funding (R. Biedenbender).
Conflict of interest: No disclosures (G. Gnanasekaran, R. Biedenbender); grant support from Sanofi Pasteur (H.E. Davidson); consultant or speakers bureau for Merck, Novartis, Novavax, Pfizer, Sanofi Pasteur in the last year. Grant support from Sanofi Pasteur (S. Gravenstein).